Tutorial 12: mixing KeyKit tools in the Compositor
If you're just starting with the Compositor, you should first read tutorial 8.
To import a tool as a (T) box in the compositor, simply use its class name as import command. For example,
wgroup imports a Group tool,
wkboom2 a Kboom2 tool.
We are going to set-up the following example composition (If you feel lazy, simply import
b and fetch the file tuto12.box in your DATA directory... you will not have to do anything but read the tutorial, although the saved "composition" is slightly different):
Here is how to proceed:
- Box 1 is a Group tool: import
- Click [REF] to have the group tool available in the graphic area, and draw a few notes in the tool, like this:
... then click [REF] again: this sets the display back to the boxes structure.
- Box 2 is a Kboom2 tool: import
- Set box 2 as the current box; click [REF] and set-up a loop with simple piano notes like this:
... then click [REF] again.
- Box 3 is a dummy synth box: import
Thanks to this box, box 2 itself will not be heared in the resulting composition: it will only be echoed by box 4.
- Box 4 is an echo of box 2: import
- Use the EditFields plug-in and set the "ph" reference for box 4 to
... so that box 4 will loop 20 times the Kboom2 phrase. We use
repeat is based on the phrase length, which results in an offset (for some reason the length of the Kboom2
$.get() phrase is not the length of the loop). Try it if you want to see what I mean:
- Box 5 is a Pitch Bend Shaper tool: import
- Set box 5 as the current box; click [REF]:
To create this kind of pitch bend ramp, set Snarf to
',l1000' (at the console), click [More -> Input Snarf], click in the upper area a few times, calling "add pitch bend" in the pop-up menu, then click [Global -> Interpolation -> half cosine]
... when you're done click [REF] to exit the PB tool.
- Box 6 and 7 are copies of box 1 (use the "copy current box" mouse mode). For each copy, open the tool with [REF] and make some modifications to the notes there (I did "flip" in one tool and "swapnotes" in the other)
- Link all boxes according to the picture
When everything is ready, set box 1 as the current box and [EVAL]uate the composition. We have the three Group tools merged, followed by 20 loops of the Kboom2 with a pitch distortion following the curve in the PB Shaper tool.
Here is my resulting phrase:
(click in the image to get the corresponding MIDI stream)
To add some more flexibility, set
NLoops = 20
... at the console, then use the EditFields plug-in to set the "ph" reference of box 4 to
Now you can try different [EVAL] by first setting NLoops at the console (try with NLoops = 4 and NLoops = 40)
-- Back to the tutorials index--
-- Back --